Purpose of Massage Therapy
The benefit of a therapeutic massage comes from the purpose of the massage. It can rid your body of life’s every day stresses, reduce muscle pain, help alleviate the discomfort of certain ailments or just help restore balance to your body and mind, leaving you feeling rejuvenated and helping you maintain a life of wellness and good health.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Massage therapy in addition to yoga is a wonderful way to reduce stress and achieve a healthier & more mindful lifestyle. Anxiety and stress are often manifested in the body through constricted breathing. Massage can play an important role in reliving respiratory issues and training the body how to relax.
- Massage therapy encourages relaxation – much like savasana at the end of yoga class. The body will enter a relaxing rest and recovery mode, which is an effect that lingers long after the massage is over.
- Paired with a yoga practice, massage helps reinforce healthy & natural movements which can help you get your posture back on track in a relaxing way.
- The pressure created by massage therapy moves blood through congested areas. This causes new blood to flow in, resulting in improved body function and improved circulation of prana.
- As we age, joints tend to tighten, making range of motion more restricted. Massage and yoga both help keep joints more fluid, making you more flexible and less prone to injury.
- Studies indicate that regular massage can naturally increase the immune system’s cytotoxic capacity–the activity level of the body’s natural “killer cells”.
- Massage helps the body pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs. This makes massage therapy a great supplement to post-operative rehabilitation.
- Rehabilitation can be frustrating. A continual massage program can accelerate the recovery process, as well as help you relax and stay motivated.
Swedish Massage Therapy
Swedish massage therapy is the modality that comes to mind when most people think about massage. As the best-known type of bodywork performed today, one of the primary goals of the Swedish massage technique is to relax the entire body. This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart. But Swedish massage therapy goes beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing tension.
A study conducted by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and published in The New York Times, found that volunteers who received a 45-minute Swedish massage experienced significant decreases in levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as well as arginine vasopressin-a hormone that can lead to increases in cortisol. Volunteers also had increases in the number of lymphocytes, white blood cells that are part of the immune system, and a boost in the immune cells that may help fight colds and the flu.
Deep Tissue Massage Therapy
Deep tissue massage therapy is similar to Swedish massage, but the deeper pressure is beneficial in releasing chronic muscle tension. The focus is on the deepest layers of muscle tissue, tendons and fascia (the protective layer surrounding muscles, bones and joints).
A study in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found that people’s blood pressure fell after a single 45 to 60 minute deep tissue massage. Additionally, a 2010 meta-analysis in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry found that massage modalities like deep tissue reduce stress hormone levels and heart rate while boosting mood and relaxation by triggering the release of oxytocin and serotonin.
Please click here, to register for massage services.
Pricing: $75/60 minutes $105/90 minutes $135/120 minutes
Package options: 4 – 60 minute massages for $260*
4 – 90 minute massages for $360* 4 – 120 minute massages for $480*
*All packages expire 180 days from date of purchase, no extensions. Prices do not include tip & are non-refundable and non-transferable, cannot be shared. 48 hour notice needed for cancellation or fees are forfeited. All massage services fees must be prepaid.